Monday 19 September 2011

10 Day Friend Challenge: Day 1 - Your Oldest Friend

Thanks to the success of the social networking site that is Facebook, we are now able to be 'friends' with people we knew forever ago. I say 'friends' because even though via the internet your lives have reconnected, it is often the case that these people will still not speak to you or ever see you again. Which is sad when you used to be best friends with that person, but more confusing when you didn't, leaving you to wonder why did they add me?
So even though I have a couple of previous best friends from Primary School on Facebook (who I did attempt to talk to) my real oldest friend is the lovely Karen Beech.
Here we are below on a Christmas (eve's eve) night out in Plymouth:



 I met Karen in the fifth and final primary school I went to, when I was a few months into year 6. My mum moved my brother and I from the first two schools because he was bullied by some evil crettins and then we moved schools twice again because of moving house.
Due to this it was hard for me to keep hold of my friends which was upsetting, but I was lucky enough that Karen ended up going to the same high school as me.
We were there for 7 years and as we lived down the road from each other, would often catch the bus and walk home together.
After 5 years when we reached sixth form Karen and I ran student council together and all its events, so spent more time together in school, as we did also because now we had Chemistry and Biology classes together - we hadn't been in the same form before and now we were doing AS - Levels everyone was all mixed up.
Here's Karen on our last ever day of School, when we all dressed up in our old uniforms (we didn't have to wear them for sixth form):



Our friendship continued after school and here she is visiting me at University in Liverpool:



Even though we lived far apart, we kept in touch and saw each other when we could, such as when we were both back in Plymouth and would go out with the old gang.
She came to visit me twice up here in Leeds when I was pregnant and here she is meeting my little girl:


Karen is one of the funniest people I know. She has quite a random sense of humour and she used to come up with such random hilarious conspiracies on our walks home from school. She is also so easy to be friends with, a really friendly girl and someone you can have so much fun with. I consider myself lucky to have a friend like her.
I miss her and wish we lived down the road from each other like we used to, but I'm thankful that even wehn we haven't seen each other for a while, when we meet up, it is still the same :)

                                                                 x - X - x

No comments: